The Scientific and Technological Research Laboratories (S.T.A.R. Labs) is the largest private research and development organization in the world. S.T.A.R. Labs was established by scientist Garrison Slate to give researchers and inventors a place away from restrictive government and corporate environments. It quickly gained a reputation as the place to be for scientists and over the years has expanded from the original Chicago location to nationwide and internationally.
S.T.A.R. Labs offers research services on a contractual basis, working for both the public and private sector as well as the military. Though not known to mass produce any technology developed, S.T.A.R. Labs does license out its inventions to others for commercial use. Some S.T.A.R. Labs locations are known for working with the superhero community.
S.T.A.R. Labs has locations across the United States as well as internationally in Canada, Europe, Australia and Japan. Some of the more prominent S.T.A.R. Labs locations are:
- Chicago: the first S.T.A.R. Labs location, it has the broadest scope covering a wide range of science and technology, though in recent years has specialized more in improving manufacturing technologies.
- Gotham City: specializes in bio-weaponry.
- Houston: specializes in space technologies and hostile environment survival.
- Los Angeles: specializes in disease control and treatment.
- Metropolis: an advanced science research center.
- Minneapolis: center for future technology studies.
- New York: specializes in bio-technology and cybernetics.
- Phoenix: center for weather research and natural disaster control and management.
- San Diego: specializes in chemical research.
- San Francisco: superhuman studies and medical research.
- Superior City: specializes in geology and biotechnology research.
- Wichita: specializes in computer engineering.
S.T.A.R. Labs has several well-known scientists, many of whom have worked closely with the superhero community over the years. Two of the more prominent locations are in New York City and Superior City.
New York City
The New York City location of S.T.A.R. Labs had a close relationship with the New Teen Titans when they were located in the city, and maintains close ties with Justice Incorporated. Key members of the New York branch are:
- Doctor Jenet Klyburn: one of the leading scientific researchers at S.T.A.R. Labs, Jenet Klyburn was the director of S.T.A.R. for many years, dividing her time between Metropolis and New York. She has stepped down as overall director and is now head of the Metropolis branch.
- Doctor Karen Faulkner: a specialist in bio-energy research and conservation at the Metropolis branch, Dr. Karen (Kitty) Faulkner has replaced Dr. Klyburn as overall director of S.T.A.R. Labs.
- Doctor Sarah Charles: an expert in cybernetics, Dr. Charles worked closely with the Titans, even having a romantic relationship with the hero Cyborg for a time. She has since become the head of the San Francisco branch of S.T.A.R. Labs.
- Doctor Albert Michaels: an expert in alternative energy and former head of the New York City branch, Dr. Michaels turned out to be corrupt and working with organized criminals. He was fired and has since gone on to become the villain Skull.
- Doctor Leonard Samuels: a leading biologist specializing in xenobiology, Dr. Samuels replaced Dr. Michaels as head of the New York City branch.
- Doctor Dale Ferguson: replaced Dr. Charles as head of cybernetics research in New York.
- Doctor Karen Rousseau: an expert in metahuman medicine, Dr. Rousseau is frequently called on to help wounded heroes when their injuries defy conventional treatments.
- Doctor Peter Martin: was Dr. Michaels' chief assistant on alternative energy research and since Michaels' departure has been working to rebuild the division.
While primarily focused on geological research, the Superior City branch has been expanding due to the rise in superhuman activity. The branch worked closely with the Enforcers of Justice as well as the city's other superhero teams. Key members of the Superior City S.T.A.R. Labs are:
- Doctor Erik Steuben: Dr. Steuben is the head of the Superior City S.T.A.R. Labs facility. Though he is a trained biochemist, Dr. Steuben's real strength is as an administrator. He no longer conducts much research but instead concentrates on keeping the facility running smoothly. It is a difficult task given the temperamental nature of most research scientists but Dr. Steuben performs it admirably.
- Doctor Jacob Keller: Self-made millionaire Jacob Keller is not only a skilled astrophysicist, but he is also a major stockholder in S.T.A.R. Labs. Keller was instrumental in the creation of an astronomy and astrophysics research division at the Superior City S.T.A.R. Labs facility, and was the main source of funding for the construction of the Mount Superior Observatory.
- Doctor Kelly Moore: Dr. Moore is a geophysicist and is in charge of the geothermal research facility S.T.A.R. Labs operates near Mount Superior. She also designed the facility's Geothermal Tap, a device capable of generating electricity by using geothermal energy.
- Doctor Larry Thornton: Dr. Thornton is the head of the superhuman research division of the facility in Superior City. His team studies the metagene that is responsible for the development of superhuman powers in humans. It is not certain how much longer Dr. Thornton will remain in charge of the division, as he has recently been implicated in a scandal involving the theft of research done by interns working under him while he was a researcher at the ill-fated west coast branch of the Banzai Institute for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Studies.
- Doctor Kathryn Davis: an expert in biochemistry, Dr. Davis is also secretly the hero known as Chrysalis.
- Doctor Eric Powers: an expert in metahuman powers. Dr. Powers was formerly the hero Powerhouse of the Crusaders.
- Doctor Thomas Typson: a specialist in xenobiology, the study of extraterrestrial life.
- Doctor Robert Alphias: a chemical engineer, Dr. Alphias previously worked at the San Diego branch where he developed the A-30 gas, a knockout gas developed as a non-lethal riot control weapon that was later discovered to have a side effect of suppressing metahuman powers. He transferred to Superior City to further refine the gas at the behest of the D.E.O. and the Defense Department.
- Randall Peters: Randall is Dr. Alphias' lab assistant at the Superior City branch.
- General Brian Franklin: General Franklin is the military liaison to the Superior City S.T.A.R. Labs, coordinating projects there that are related to the U.S. Defense Department.
- Hal Langsford: Hal is a pilot on contract with S.T.A.R. Labs. He is usually on standby, ready to ferry scientists to and from their destination when their research takes them out of the lab.